I write this after experiencing an all time low energy while working. I had to get to the bottom of this.
First, here are a list of the basics.
- Sleep 7-9 hours a day.
- Exercise daily ( even at low intensity, such as an easy jog ) .
- Eat a diet rich in fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Drink at least 2.5-3 litres of water a day ( if you really can’t stomach water, coconut water will do the trick )
- Be enthusiastic about what you do ( Even if you aren’t. Just fake the excitement )
Now these are all the things you have to do everyday to never ever experience midday fatigue. BUT. But life happens and everything is not as ideal as it all should be.
The other day I had only 4 hours of sleep and exercised in the morning. Then for lunch at work I ate rice, lentils, tofu masala and salad. I ate a lot. After that as I was speaking to my students my eyes began to blink really fast. It was very intense. Some students thought that I was winking some code at them. I was falling asleep as I was talking, it was horrible.
Here’s what I should have done:
- Ate just a little bit of food since I didn’t sleep well ( And most people barley get 5 hours of sleep )
- Ate raw foods instead such as fruits and vegetables. Anything else is a compromise.
- Taken a 10 minute nap. A power nap. Even if I don’t actually fall asleep.
- Worse case scenario ( an unhealthy option ) is to have caffeine. This is a quick fix that is considered debt and you’ll have to pay it back so I almost never consider this option, but just had to put it out there.
Excuse me as I take a 10 min midday power nap.