I’m not one to write a movie review. But it’s very rare these days that I leave the theatre thinking about the movie hours later and when asked ” How was the movie? ” by my wife It took me back to how incredible the movie was.
I just could not NOT write about it. ( This is a spoiler free review )
So this is more like creative venting so if you happen to read this till the end then Kudos.
Let me start off by saying that I just learnt a lot from this movie. There were some great life lessons packed in there that really got me thinking about life after walking out of the movies. Not many people may interpret it like that.
I’d say most people would just take it as it is. A clown feeding on children’s fears. But it was so much more. They actually show you the steps of how to overcome fear and how hard it is. How absolutely hard it is. They beautifully show you how the kids go through suffering both internally and externally by their fears. And how fear has the whole town crippled.
Ok let me try and organise this post. Here are the top 5 things I loved about IT.
- How to beat your fears : As explained a little above, the main characters ( The kids ) go through some pretty traumatic stuff and the only way to get over it is to face it and make fear, fear you. And what better way to show than in a horror movie?!
Beautiful. The struggles the characters had to go through in order to face it were unbelievable.
- Colors: I loved the way this movie was colour graded and shot. The movie takes place in 1980’s , being a 90’s kid ( 1990 ) I could relate to so much of the environments, but it was made with a modern touch to it, and beautiful effects. It’s like watching an 80’s movie with today’s technology. Loved it
- Gore : The movie sets the tone within the first 5 mins basically. It just takes you by surprise. It’s rare to get surprised in a horror movie ( Not startled, big difference ) . They really pushed the envelope with this one. And I have seen Annabelle, both the conjuring, and they were brilliant movies. But this is one just had a little more oomph to it.
- Characters: The characters basically made this movie. I fell in love with each kid in the movie and cared for them half way through the movie. The humour, the emotions, the courage, the difficulties of being different, and of course the stutterer. 5 stars all the way for all of the main characters.
- Story: Story is king. In all movies what wins is story. And this is I can easily say is one of my favourite horror movies of all time if not the favourite. The movie was shot so beautifully that it didn’t feel nothing like a 2 hour movie. More like an hour. Maybe an hour and twenty minutes. or even an hour and a half but not 2 hours 15 minutes man! The shots, the visual effects and the characters all came together to make such a beautiful
horrormovie. This recipe is key for a movie of any genre and to see it put into perfection in a horror movie is just something I took to heart. Every short movie I make, I always look at story first and how to convey it in the best way possible
At the end of the movie I looked up the director, to see who this genius was. It was Andy Muschietti. I bet you never even heard of him. He has barely made any movies except for a few shorts. AMAZING
I’m going to end this abruptly.
If you’re 18+, can stomach some pretty hard core gore, enjoy a good movie, enjoy horror flicks, then decide no more.