It has pretty much become a habit for me to race without training. After attempting and finishing Iroman 70.3 with one month training. I feel like I can conquer any smaller race with no training as well.
Here are my tips on how I finish the races in one piece.
- Always active, always working out as much as I can: I don’t have to do crazy or specific workout just as long as I’m working out consistently through out the year. That’s pretty much how I do it.
- Proper nutrition: Always eating a healthy diet. I eat a very clean diet throughout the year and that keeps my body in check.
- Sleep: I wish I could say I slept enough. But I’d do much better if I did.
Race day tips:
- On race day I always make sure to start the race off super easy
- I don’t sweat it: I show up super confidently without race nerves. I come early, put up a smile, line up with everyone who trained their asses off and take it one step at a time.
- I don’t push it until the very very end. Since I haven’t trained specifically for the race, I know I’m not going to pulling any crazy stunts or even think about Personal bests. I have to be realistic, grounded and ensure I finish injury free above all. Always pacing myself very carefully and listening to my body.
- I foam roll the day before and morning as much as I can to keep my muscles all nice and loose
- Have loads of fun. High five everyone, smile and be good to the volunteers. That kind of Karma will get you through any race in one piece 🙂